[meteorite-list] Re: Fireball rattles the east coast in 2001

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 3 18:54:44 2006

> Hi List. I was organizing some old papers and came across an article that
> brought back memories of something I will never forget. On July 23rd, 2001.

I remember that. I was interviewed by CNN about that, and it was discussed
here on the list back then.

> Supposedly a
> corn field in Lycoming County Pennsylvania was searched as witnesses said
> flaming debris fell amongst the corn.

That didn't pan out. It was just another case "a fireball that landed near me".
They found holes in the cornstalk leaves which was speculated to be
from small meteorite impacts, but was later determined to be caused by insects.
No meteorite fragments were ever found in the corn field.

Ron Baalke