[meteorite-list] New Impact Structures

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 3 18:54:35 2006

G'day Kevin & all,

I think there may be quite a few of us who have found 'suspect features'
while browsing through Sat images! I found a bunch of them in Libya several
months ago. In fact what may even be a string of them running some 200km
plus. The only problem is that Libya has vast volcanic regions which most of
them fall into. (I'm not sure if neighbouring Algeria, Chad and Niger is the
same.) The Libyan Haruj volcanic area is pretty big! This makes it EXTREMELY
difficult (if not impossible) to pick from volcanic craters etc.

While most in the area are obviously of volcanic origin there is a small
minority which may not be. After contacting a few leading scientists in the
impact crater/geology field, there was a common response. The features I
found do not appear to have been previously documented, however some of them
do appear to be excellent candidates for impact craters. However they also
mentioned, (like any good scientist would and most of us in meteorites ;-) )
.....you need the science to back it up.

In other words, a scientific expedition would need to be sent so that
samples could be obtained, studied, etc, etc. If anyone is interested in
checking out the initial feature I found, the co-ordinates are:

25 35 26N
17 25 27E

Or click here for a pic for those of you without Google Earth, etc.

www.meteorites.com.au/images/Libya 1.jpg

Cheers,

Jeff Kuyken
Meteorites Australia