[meteorite-list] Re: Clowns . was Self Proclaimed Pairings Issues(SPPI)

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 6 12:52:57 2006

Hi Again,

The good news is that now ~95% of the dealers out there conform to the new
standards set forth by the MetSoc and have their pieces formally classified.
I guess there will always be some holdout dealers that are too cheap, lazy
or in too much of a hurry to have their rocks officially recognized as
meteorites. Most labs will still perform classifications for free so there
really is no excuse for this. They think that they are somehow better than
the scientists that advance our knowledge of these rare objects and can
classify rocks themselves with an unaided eye. To state that an unstudied
rock is of a certain classification and likely paired to an official
meteorite is wrong. To use data from an officially recognized meteorite to
describe unstudied material is also wrong. I think dealers who sell rocks
this way should state that they visually classified the rocks themselves,
that they are unofficial and will always be or simply get the rocks
classified.

Take Care,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection