[meteorite-list] Re: Clowns . was SelfProclaimedPairingsIssues(SPPI)

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 6 19:00:36 2006

Hello Adam,

I am not relying on any statements by my friends Aziz or Nelson to gauge
whether or not NWA 3133 and 1839 are paired or not paired. I also have
no bias for whichever scenario is correct, I just want to know. The
following information is all that I have to go on, and it all supports a
scenario that NWA 3133 and 1839 are likely paired. I wish I had
something more definitive. If you have more definitive data that
suggests they are not paired, then please advise us.

1.The following link to an abstract by Irving, Bunch, Rumble III, and
Larson, which shows the relationship (pairing factor not directly
addressed) of the metachondrites NWA 3133 and 1839 and their affiliation
to the CV PB.

<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2005/pdf/5218.pdf>

2.The following link is to the NAU webpage maintained by Ted Bunch and
James Wittke, which uses the slash symbol between NWA 3133 and 1839 in
the following sentence discussing their classification: "NWA 3133/1839
paired specimens were originally classified as L7 chondrites..." Did you
read the word "paired" Adam? They further refer to this combination
3133/1839 as "this meteorite", implying a single stone. Do you
comprehend now why I believe they are paired? Am I jumping to a
conclusion here based on heresay, as you imply? This sentence is
presented in the section Primitive Ungrouped Achondrites at the
following link:

<http://www4.nau.edu/meteorite/Meteorite/Book-PrimitiveAchond.html>

Actually Adam, your statement that I'm "in touch with scientists" is not
accurate. I do not bother busy scientists with the zillions of questions
that I have about the field of meteoritics, but instead, read and study
on my own from published documents in order to keep my facts straight.
When more facts about this pairing question are published in the future,
I'll make any revisions to my systematic website that are necessary.

Regards,
David