[meteorite-list] Audio of Bovedy Meteorite

From: Martin Horejsi <accretiondesk_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 7 11:34:52 2006

Hello Walter,

That recording is a real piece of meteorite history. While we have
video of several falls (Peekskill, Park Forest, etc.) we we don't have
many with sound. Remember that part of the Bovedy fall went through
the roof of a house as well.

Besides thanking the woman who made the recording, we have to thank
Rob E. in England who tracked down the recording and posted it on the
web from where the rest of us have borrowed it.

When I listen to the recording, I think I can hear at least 6 sonic
booms, but the latter ones might be echos. Any thoughts from the
acoustic physicists out there?

For added enjoyment, there are a couple pics of the Bovedy slice I got
from Bob Haag featured in my Accretion Desk article in the Meteorite
Times.

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2005/August/Accretion_Desk.htm

Bovedy is a real beauty! Extremely fresh L3 chondrites are rare.

Cheers,

Martin