[meteorite-list] look out for another ebay scam

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 8 02:06:00 2006

Hi Adam and all,

You say that you looked at Greg's auctions and you can't tell from his
images about the validity of what he's selling, and I have to admit that
after I saw the pictures, I agreed with Steve Arnold (Chicago!) that this
guy is a fraud.

To me, this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/METEORITE-Round-Chondrules-of-Metal-ANORTHOSITE-LATHS_W0QQitemZ6276400311QQcategoryZ415QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

>Item 6276400311, if the above link doesn't work,

looks like one of the obvious meteor-wrongs pictured here at Washington
University

http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/meteorites/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm

Those huge gas voids must mean, then, that that one is planetoid in origin,
if you think it could be a meteorite, right?
Bargoon price, if that's the case! And he already has one bid for only a
dollar!

Regarding his Iron, item 6628150438, he states in his ad that he sees the
Wedmanstatten [sic] pattern only under considerable magnification.
I was under the impression that Widmanstatten patterns - even the fine ones,
are easily visible by the unaided eye.
Could he and the unnamed Cal Tech professor possibly mean Newman lines?

You guys are the experts - I have so much to learn! Thanks.

Cheers,
Pete