[meteorite-list] Personal Thoughts (Adam Hupe)

From: Metorman46_at_aol.com <Metorman46_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 8 17:21:03 2006

Hi Adam; I am a collector of meteorites.And as such i prefer to acquire
properly classified specimens. ( personally ).And in doing so i also prefer that
the specimen be in the TKW range for that particular classification.I think
your personal thoughts post covers that and more.If we aren't careful we'll
have purchased a piece of x meteorite at 100g TKW for the higher price that a
small TKW fetches,only to find some years later that for some reason there
exists 1000g in collections and more coming on the market.That flood will drive
the price down for other buyers ( which is good for them ) and reduce the
value of the original specimens when traded or sold.And this hobby is about
money.Especially when it comes to acquiring the special specimen for our
collection that is unique in its TKW and availability.All collectors eventually
realise that fact when one day the old bank account is negative or worse.But that
is the nature of the beast,i guess.

I believe we need to protect our collections from outside unclassified
infiltration whether intentional or accidental.Someday we will want to know the
collection we have amassed will at least be worth what we invested into it,(
money that is ) the time part is called HOBBY i think.

Just my personal thoughts and no malice towards anyone,except me for
enjoying meteorites so much i just gotta have that special one.I love it!!

Herman.