[meteorite-list] Re: Clowns . was Self Proclaimed Pairings Issues(SPPI)

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 8 18:43:59 2006

Hi Doug,

Yes, your description is pretty accurate (at least for my own field, child
psychology). Back in my publishing days, I would hope that the editor would
send the paper to favorable reviewers! Many a paper was "accepted with
revisions" or "rejected" which hurts your ego but you eventually get over it
and make the revisions.

I remember one reviewer, who reviewed a paper on the syndrome of non-verbal
learning disabilty which I and my major professor had written. He learned
who had written the paper and contacted us directly, suggesting that we buy
his latest book and read it bofore submitting any future papers. He
rejected the paper. It was then I learned about the longstanding fight
between this guy and my major professor! We resubmitted it and asked the
editor to have it reviewed again by a different reviewer and all three
accepted it without revisions!

On the other hand some reviewers had very constructive criticism which made
many papers much better.

I laugh when I read posts that talk about profesional scientists being
dispassionate, unemotional, data driven and completely objective.

>(There is no recognition for "papers reviewed".

That's true. In the publish or perish world, there is no place on the CV
for "number of papers reviewed."

Doug, your reference to Einstein is funny. Can you imagine a reviewer
writing "understandably, the paper is limited within the constraints of
present knowledge but I think the paper could be improved if the writer had
more emperical proof for the postulates. I also think the writer needs to
clear up the "cosmological constant" part as it detracts from the overall
thesis and the writer admits it is a fudge factor of sorts. Denied pending
further emperical evidence."

It is not a perfect system, but it's the best we have.

-Walter Branch