[meteorite-list] Personal Thoughts, pairings, and insomniactic ramblings

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 9 04:20:22 2006

The way I see it is that there are not enough people
doing analysis.

In many ways this is a good thing for those doing the
analysis.

These rocks are being harvested at a phenomenal rate
and I suspect at a far greater rate than they are
actually falling. The supply is currently outstripping
the ability to process. Is this always going to be the
case?
I envisage (oh no! now I'M having visions, shoot me) a
time when the supply becomes very thin and the
analysis guys can get to work on the huge backlog
ensuring work for years to come.

Whether this will take 10 years or 1000 years, I have
absolutely no idea.
Obviously, if it's towards the upper end I'm going to
have to put on a bit of a health blitz to be around
long enough to see the value of my collection soar.

The value tends to be more important to people who
see my modest collection (and to my wife. Actually she
just wants to know how much I'm spending. I hear
knives being sharpened).
I'm not that bothered, it's fun to own these things
and look at them under a microscope.
This is why it's important to me that I know what I've
got is what the seller says it is.

Rob McCafferty

=== message truncated ===