[meteorite-list] RE: Self-Proclaimed Pairing Issues

From: Bill Southern <southerndesert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 9 23:27:28 2006

My first find (Trilby Wash, AZ) took about 8 months at ASU and still has not shown up in the bulletin although classification info is available at ASU and I was told this was pretty quickly done as busy as they are, all at no cost. I did donate a hefty specimen that is now on display in their very nice collection though.

  I have since hand delivered what appears to be another possible find from AZ and was told they are even busier now so I expect several months to a year...Gives me time to work the area for more specimens while I wait. Having on lost would be a upset for sure and I take mine in in person.

  Bill

Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_nvbell.net> wrote:
  Thomas,

Take heart. "Almost a year"? Try never. The last
piece I sent to UCLA they claim to never have received
even though people visiting the lab asked about it and
were told probable preliminary classifications. Now
they want a second piece?

Can anyone help me get the "kick me" sticker off my
back?

I don't know where the problem might be. US mail?
UCLA mailroom? Met lab? I suspect the mail room.
"Packages going to this department might have valuable
rocks." But that doesn't explain the verbal
communications suggesting the material was in process.
Lesson: if you can find a way, have your material
hand carried into the hands of a respected scientist
by someone who can vouch that it was delivered.

I am very disheartened by the whole experience.

Maybe you get what you pay for. It appears I did.

Cheers,
Norm
http://tektitesource.com

--- Thomas Webb wrote:

> List Members,
> There are a few people who seemingly are able to get
> meteorites classified in a matter of weeks. I have
> been waiting for almost a year now and don't even
> have
> a number much less a classification. Is this due to
> the volume supplied by some and the consequent
> revenue
> to the institution or what is the reason for the
> inequity?
> I would appreciate some answers to the list on this
> matter.
> Thank you,
> Thomas H. Webb

southerndesert_at_yahoo.com