[meteorite-list] Re: The other Brenham hunter

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 12 14:32:21 2006

Only Steve (AR), Phil, Geoff, Don and Sheila Stimpson, USA today and maybe
the mayor of Haviland know best what is going on here. Our Steve Arnold has
stolen the show from Nininger and Haag, and apparently walked into a dream of
Stimpson's. Just one pesky native wants to sow his own field I guess, dang,
there is always seems to be one and what do you do if they live there...take
Franconia, for example:)

The Stimpsons (Chicago!, of course not IMB) don't appear to be bungling
fools, though. They are cerrtainly not farmers as their PR would indicate and it
is doubtful they are in financial straights as implied. It looks like they may
have planned their retirement for over 10 years to harvest meteorites on
their 1000 acres bought with this in mind the investment is certainly there. But
they've been a bit busy publishing high powered scientific publications on the
National Institutes of Health budget if google is interpreted right (It is
good work and coincidentally in my field). So, not that Stimpson is much of a
native or neophyte himself. Look up the holder of the main mass of the
Valentine meteorite (MB 1993). Is it he? Or look at Dr. Stimpsons' publications in
the top echelon Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA). Or
check some of his publications, some published with the address: Haviland
Meteorite Crater for correspondence:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Search&itool=PubMe
d_Abstract&term=%22Stimpson+DI%22%5BAuthor%5D

Is that the same hapless "Mr." Stimpson who got his clock cleaned by gutsy
IMB?

I guess Steve may have forced Stimpson to review his retirement plans as he
probably is scratching his head on how he was scooped. As for USA Today,
Geoff, it's a stinking fishwrapper, man, I agree ... what a lame journalistic
response, the author really should be required to respond to their pea-brained
plagiarism - that is what it is in my book. Though the irony is there: Your
article mentions "Field of Dreams". Could this be someone's dig: that there are
more than one, as USA Today puts it in "their" title, "Fields of Dreams"?
Reading between the lines can be bad for one's health I guess it isn't a hidden
message for the REAL Dream Team, though the "other meteorite hunter" (That would
be, the one who got his booty pounded but is coming back more peeved than
ever as he laments being the "other" instead of just Haviland Man...) is owner of
and heavily invested in the Haviland meteorite crater...
Saludos
PS I wouldn't expect a clone meteorite sales company soon. More like
havilandmeteoritefarm.com - now that's an original idea...as long as there are newts!
PPS USA goofed big time by this article next to Stimpson's:
("fall mainly in the SW USA!!!)

METEORITES FALL MAINLY IN SOUTHWESTERN USA
A total of 1,529 meteorites have been found in the USA.
States with the most:

Texas: 296
New Mexico: 215
California: 164
Kansas: 138
Colorado: 89
Arizona: 78
Nebraska: 48
Nevada: 47
Oklahoma: 39
North Carolina: 30

Sources: Natural History Museums - London and the Meteoritical Society

En un mensaje con fecha 05/12/2006 11:47:08 AM Mexico Daylight Time,
rsvp321_at_hotmail.com escribe:

<< Sender: meteorite-list-bounces_at_meteoritecentral.com
 To: h3chondrite_at_cox.net, geoking@notkin.net,
meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com

 Wouldn't the analogy be more related to a gold rush, rather than the
 insinuated plagiarism?

 Cheers,
 Pete