[meteorite-list] Re: The other Brenham hunter

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 12 14:48:41 2006

If Mr. Stimpson (The other Brenham hunter) is reading
this thread, I would like to apologize to you for
recent statements directed towards you on this List.
What has started as a tongue-in-cheek accusation of
"imatation" by Judy Keen and her lack of originality
in the title of her (otherwise well-written) article,
has somehow got translated over to you.

Something about not finding your "dozens of
meteorites" until AFTER hearing about your neighbor's
success. If indeed you found all of these Benhams
after hearing about Arnold's recent success, then you
should be congratulated, at least, for finding so many
meteorites in such short period of time.

But if, as the article suggests, you found these over
the past 12 years, then you should be congratulated
for your originality and for the unherald success that
it has brought you. I have the utmost respect for
your philosophy toward these meteorites, for your
dedicated decade-long effort at meteorite-recovery,
for not seeking attention to yourself, and for your
plans in the use of your finds as a means to benefit
your local community.

If only we could start this thread over in a different
tone, I'm sure you would find, Mr. Stimpson, that the
List would be welcoming you with open arms, and that
we would be eager to hear your stories. We would
like to know how it must have felt to search, to find,
to dig-up (on property you OWN) "dozens" of massive
pallasites!

Again, congratulations,
Bob V.

<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2006-05-10-meteorites-kansas_x.htm>

------------ Text from Original Article ------------

Stimpson, 53, a biophysicist who moved here with his
wife, Sheila, in 1994 from Gurnee, Ill., hasn't sold
any of the dozens of meteorites he has found. He grew
up wanting to be a test pilot and is fascinated with
space. He bought 1,000 acres because of the meteorites
first discovered here in the 1880s by Eliza Kimberly,
a farmer's wife.

"We assign a different value to these meteorites than
monetary," Stimpson says. To finance his quest, he
leases part of his property for cattle grazing. He has
taken temporary jobs in other states so he has enough
money to continue searching for meteorites.

There are enough meteorites buried in the flat fields
to satisfy both Stimpson and Arnold, but it's
uncertain whether both Haviland and Greensburg can
turn meteorites into profitable tourist attractions.