[meteorite-list] New Meteorite

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 19 02:12:10 2006

Hi Sonny,

> I just finished cutting up some suspected meteorites from a hunting
> trip last week. I have started bringing home any suspicious rocks
> that may resemble weathered meteorites, even if they do not attract
> to a magnet. Out of the 10 suspected meteorites one turned out to be
> a weathered 13 gram chondrite.

Congrats! This shows the value in bringing home anything suspicious --
even if it appears to fail one test or another. No sense wasting
valuable daylight field hours windowing every single promising rock
you find. Better to sort it out later when you're home.

> The 13 gram meteorite came from a new Nevada area with no reported
> finds. I will post some pictures of the new finds on my web page
> next week.

Look forward to seeing the images ... though you bring up a point
I've been meaning to pester you about. Sonny -- you've found a
significant number of meteorites in Nevada, Arizona and California
over the last several years, and my hat's off to you as a fellow
meteorite hunter for all your hard work. My "bone to pick" is that
I've yet to see any of your finds classified and documented in the
Meteoritical Bulletin. You know they're meteorites, I know they're
meteorites, so why not make them official? I realize some of your
locations are "works in progress", and it would be very premature
to tip your hand and publish them, but surely you have a few finds
from already published locations -- why not Bulletinize them?

Look forward to another hunt with you soon!

Best wishes,
Rob

P.S. Feel free to re-post my message to Meteorite Central since
despite being included in the "To:" address above, I guarantee you
this message will not post there since I'm sending it from home.