[meteorite-list] Lost Opportunities Past and Future was Some ..meteorite finds.

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 20 11:12:51 2006

At 05:11 AM 5/20/2006, Armando Afonso wrote:
>If your neighbour does not close the door, it does not means that his tv can
>be harvested, or collected, by some "smart" guy, does it?

Most of us remember the "real" story about Mike Farmer recovering pieces of
the Ourique meteorite several weeks after the Portuguese scientists had
already been to the fall site and recovered the material they wanted. Truth
is, if Mike hadn't made the effort to remove fragments from the bottom of
the water-filled crater (I have a picture of it) those pieces would still
be in that hole. Yes, Mike did purchase some of the specimens he brought
back to the USA, but please remember, the sellers could have refused to
sell and instead turn the material in to the appropriate government agency.
Don't blame Mike for the meteorites your country let go, blame your greedy
countrymen.

BTW, if Mike might have found a few TVs abandon on the side of the road
over there, he could have brought those back too if the locals didn't have
the sense to pick them up themselves.

Best,

JKGwilliam