[meteorite-list] Lost Opportunities Past and Future was Some ..meteorite finds.

From: Armando Afonso <armandoafonso_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 20 08:12:02 2006

In 1968, an Ataxite of 25 kg falled in Alandroal, not far of the popular
Ourique.
The authorities came imediatly, and confiscated the stone, to store it
temporarily at the local prison.
Days after, it was moved to the national museum, were it was analysed and
where it remains in display today.
This is the meteoritic reference for thousands of portuguese studants.
I still remember, when I was a kid, of the impact it made on me.
I have al the reasons to be convicted, then, that this is the way that this
things have to be done.

In 1998, another meteorite falled, and this time, most of it was sold to
tourists, and dispersed like toys in ebay,
finishing as keychains, glued to a piece of paper, or something.

(This country had better days in some subjects)

Between the 2 episodes, please choose:
In the first case, the stone was studied and saved, to the benefit
(cultivation) of all of us.
This things are cultural obects, yes. In a universal sense.

In the second case, if someone benefited from it, it was the tourists, who
were able to take it from poor people for pocket money, to resell it at the
prices that we know.

If your neighbour does not close the door, it does not means that his tv can
be harvested, or collected, by some "smart" guy, does it?

If the Alandroal meteorite was found today, it would sell for a few bucks,
and would end in someone?s office as a decorative item, like a Campo del
ciello.
That would be a BIG loss to us, naive portuguese natives.
I mean it.

In the book of R. Norton, "rocks from space" it is described how Bob Haag
"extracted" from an african (synonimous of stupid, between the lines)
country, a valuable stone.
That was done after a psychological manoeuver, to take it from the hands of
the museum curator - he exchanged it for the equivalent of the colored
glass beads of "diplomatic procedures" with natives, of other times, ie for
volumous rubish.

This and other similar stories are presented like comedia pieces.

This is a predator attitude, and I think that those persons, principally
their descendents, were abused in their na?vety.

I think that Oman is poorer today than it was a month ago, if you
understand.
Obviously I am going to be called of radical, comunist, or something like
that.
Or that I am only jalous for not having used the oportunity and take the tv
myself. After all the stupid neighbour is sleeping.
He deserves it
A dissertation about the market`s logic is usual, too.

AA