[meteorite-list] Re: Meteor(ite) FF comic (was...the vision is back)

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 21 19:53:19 2006

Geoff N. wrote:

<>

Hola Geoff,

Jack Kirby actually drew me a headshot of the Thing in the early 70's, and I
haven't been able to find it in the past 20 years. I always liked John
Bucema's artwork best, even if Kirby was a groundbreaker.

This was after my time (I was an active fan in the early to late FF 100's),
but Google was accomodating as I read this Fantastic Four #227 issue (Feb.
1981) summary. Our resident genius, Dr. Reed Richards (a.k.a. Stretcho or Mr.
Fantastic), was invited by his geologist friend "Gideon Carrothers, not
Gibeon:-)" from his ol' college days to investigate a meteorite fall he had
successfully triangulated. The locality of the fall was "Lost Lake" somewhere near the
Catskills or Peekskill I suspect. The meteorite was from a world destroyed by
an asteroid-type collision, and some of the dominant creatures living on it
(hmmm dominant creatures being parasites? wouldn't the host be the dominant
creature well maybe not as they had a broad range of animal hosts here) survived
on the meteoroid that eventually survived as a fall into to Lost Lake while
they had planned their geology/R&R vacation. Funny things happen as the
creatures are a bunch of brain parasites that infected animals, the geologist, and Sue
Storm-R and cause them to all revert to monster versions of their respective
evolutionary trees. And somehow they produced eggs with Sue. After some good
classic fighting and separation and destruction of the parasites or whatever
they were, evolution was reverted to normal in the affected individuals. The
Brain parasites when dead turned into trilobites and there were other
geological things going on as geology was married to the wolfman. Reed apparently
studied both the meteorite and the creatures and I believe it was published in
the mag's Meteoritical Bulletin, which he no doubt cold pull stings on to get
his work published probably with Gideon.

Dates to remember:
Orgueil Fall: 1864
Orgueil has hydrocarbons and ET fossils published in Nature by Bart Nagy: 1961
Lost City Meteorite Fall: 4 Jan 1970
This Issue: Feb. 1981
Peekskill Fall: 1992
Allan Hills 84001 first recovered: 1984
Allan Hills 84001 Science article on fossils and hydrocarbon content: 1996

Read it all here:
http://www.ffplaza.com/library/?issue=ff227
'Nuff Said !!!
Doug