[meteorite-list] Mike Farmer and Oman

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 22 14:13:34 2006

Darren (and Listees),
You seem to have little problem expressing your opinion on this list so I
hope you don't mind if I share not only a few of my opinions but also some
hard facts.

When John Blennert says he's independently wealthy he is being
modest. He's a self-made man who got to where he is by working hard and
making good business decisions. How many people do you know that retired
at 50?

You have pointed out (by your suggestion that he purchase a book about
writing well) that his grammar and spelling are not up to your
standards. Those of us who know John personally have known this for years
and accept it as part of his unique personality. I get a big kick out of
JBs writing style. But, his shortfalls in the composition department are
minuscule compared to the good things he's done for meteorites. In
addition to being a devoted and productive meteorite hunter, John works
behind the scenes providing museums, research facilities and universities
with FREE meteorite specimens. John has never...NEVER...sold a meteorite.
He has, however, donated meteorite specimens to scores of institutions and
facilities over the past 6 or 7 years. He has also placed much of his
personal collection on public display at the Flandrau Science Center
located on the campus of the University of Arizona. Because of his
generosity, the public and students alike have access to meteorites that
wouldn't be available otherwise.

  John was the co-finder of the Gold Basin meteorite strewnfield along with
his partner Jim Kreigh, that is a fact. Jim got the credit for the actual
find, but John hunted side-by-side with him on every trip that was made to
Gold Basin in the beginning. Additionally, John has found the following
new meteorites that I can remember off the top of my head. King Tut, White
Elephant, Dos Cabezas, Roach Dry Lake 002, Hualapai Wash 021. He also has
several others that are currently being worked on.

Those people who know John personally will tell you he's not one to BS or
exaggerate. If John Blennert claims his statements about Oman and Mike
Farmer are true, that's good enough for me. I am privy to more information
but I won't go into details here. If anyone is considering going to Oman
for the purpose of hunting meteorites, you might want to talk to JB before
you go.

JKGwilliam