[meteorite-list] Mike Farmer and Oman

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 22 14:32:30 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:17:43 -0700, you wrote:

>Darren (and Listees),
>You seem to have little problem expressing your opinion on this list so I
>hope you don't mind if I share not only a few of my opinions but also some
>hard facts.
>
>When John Blennert says he's independently wealthy he is being
>modest. He's a self-made man who got to where he is by working hard and
>making good business decisions. How many people do you know that retired
>at 50?

Maybe I spoke out of turn, but it just rubbed me the wrong way to see him call
an amount of money that most people have to do 5 or 10 years of work to gross
before taxes "chump change"-- meaning "a trivial amount of money". It came off
as really, profoundly eletist and insluting. And I doubt that someone with only
a few million would concider $280,000 "trivial" So I'd really like to know just
how rich you have to be before a quarter of a million dollars is so little that
it is "trivial" to you. Which isn't meant to address the issue if this amount
is enough to make you lure someone into a trap over-- just when you reach the
point that a extra quarter of a million dollars-- around the total gross income
of five years of hard work for the average US household-- becomes such a trivial
amount that it is insulting.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/002484.html