[meteorite-list] A fireball over Illinois.

From: Bob Evans <bobe5531_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 24 10:00:22 2006

Joe,
Please take a look at the following link with videos of the Peekskill Fireball
http://aquarid.physics.uwo.ca/~pbrown/Videos/peekskill.htm

The videos are from 7 different states. This will give an idea of how close a fireball looks and how far away it really is.
Did your friend say it passed and exploded right over head?

When the Park Forest, Il. Meteorite fell in 2003 it was about 30 miles from my home and I didn't hear one sonic boom or anything.
Like most meteorite collectors Ive grown accustomed to keeping an eye on the sky at night. Ive seen several fireballs in the last few years, a couple very large ones too. While they get the heart pumping we all know if you didn't hear it then its far away. The best that you can do is keep an eye on the media.

Good Luck
Bob