[meteorite-list] Kerala Red Rain Was From A Comet, Study Suggests

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 1 16:07:50 2006

Hi all:

So was this like Bart's Comet (for those of you who know the Simpson's
cartoon) where Bart discovers a comet and it is always over Springfield as it
comes crashing to Earth. Actually the discovery was more accurate than any of
the disasteroid movies that come out at about the same time!

How do you get a comet raining down material for three months over one city?
It would have to be geosynchronous (revolving once around the Earth in 24
hours so that is always over the same spot). For some reason, I doubt this.

Larry