Fw: [meteorite-list] CRE ages of Nakhlites and NWA 998

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 11 17:16:46 2006

Hi, Walter, List

    There are disputes about the K-Ar dating of
 Martian rocks because of the high level of 36Ar
 in the atmosphere and the likelihood of losing
 40K from the surface rocks. One group suggests
 the 38Ar dates are distorted (see reference below).
 "because atmospheric and cosmogenic 40Ar and
 36Ar would confound accurate measurements and
 calibration, and because 40Ar may be lost from
 the sample over time..." One problem could be
 that the isotope levels of the Martian rock are
 whacky even before it's blasted off the planet.

    Free-browsing copy of a good source of
 information on the arguments on Martian geology:
 http://fermat.nap.edu/books/0309089174/html

    It would be difficult to explain the 38Ar discrepancies
 as a loss of the gas from the sample in transit, because
 the crystal lattice "gaps" that would let some of the 38Ar
 escape from the rock would let ALL the 3He out, since
 the He atom is much smaller than the 38Ar atom and
 "leaks out" much more readily (as much as I hate to
 disagree with Bernd). Heating would allow the 3He to
 escape first.

 Sterling K. Webb