[meteorite-list] Rhode Island meteorite?

From: Charlie Devine <moonrock25_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 15 13:51:18 2006

Hello list,

There has never been a recorded fall or find of a meteorite from my home
state of Rhode Island. However, it was recently reported in our local
press that a stone meteorite was discovered during a still ongoing
archaeological excavation of the Newport Tower in Newport, R.I. This
excavation hopes to answer once and for all whether the tower is
colonial English in origin or whether it is earlier in origin. ( It has
long been speculated that the tower is Norse in origin. However, the
most recent previous study dated the mortar as 17th century. ) In any
event, if you look at the entry log for 10/19/2006, they describe the
discovery of a meteorite. Identification was made by one Ron Barstad
and his email is Ron_at_chronognostic.org. The on-site photos posted with
the 10/19 log entry don't show the alleged discovery. I will try to
visit the dig site next week. I have many more connections to
archaeology then I do meteorite studies, so if any list member can
confirm that a meteorite has indeed been discovered in Rhode Island,
please post to the list.

On the following page, the entry for 10/19/06 describes the discovery:

http://www.chronognostic.org/daily_logs.html

Regards,
Charlie