[meteorite-list] ID cards

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:50:57 -0000

Hi,

I agree with you! This is a pet hate of mine too. We went through this
loop a few years ago, discussion centered around the fact that important
information is being lost when meteorite cards where either not passed
on (or being replaced by another dealers card), or no information on
them was ever forwarded to the 'end user'. and thus a great deal of
provenance is lost (I know I have some old ex monnig/nininger and famous
collection pieces in my collection, but most don't have any proof
because they are new slices and no cards where issued - so that vital
historical link is simply lost forever!

 I think that the paper/and card labels from the more well known people
such as Mike and the Hupes etc, will usually be passed on if the piece
is resold as these can actually add value (or add some sort of
confidence factor) to the specimen (you may disagree, but who in their
right mind would buy an unknown ebay lunar microspec that didn't at
least come with a famous 'dealer named card' with it??)

We also discussed the concept of 'a standardized meteorite card', like a
passport, but simply just a sheet of paper/card with a standard set of
information on it (origins, original size, type number, who's owned it,
what was done to the slice (treatment etc), if the specimen was cut then
the card is copied and each piece gets it's own passport with the info
on. (Dealers could still make their own card too if they wanted, of
course).

The other point is that the info on cards often differs between dealers,
sometimes not even a weight, or type is on it. A standard card would
make sure pieces are properly described, it could be downloadable for
all as a pdf of something.

 We even got to the stage of the IMCA asking for people to send in ideas
for a standard card, but this didn't seem to materialize....?

Mark Ford