[meteorite-list] ID cards

From: Meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:32:50 +0100

Hi,
I guess that most of us are open to standardize meteorites' ID cards but I think that the main stage would be to standardize the
information that should be stated on such cards, when available of course.
The material that the card is made of is another issue and if we want to standardize this as well I'm quite sure that it won't reach
any complete agreement of each member of the community...
Here is a suggestion of what ID cards could mention:

- Name of the meteorite, with mention whether it is official (Nom Com) or not (personal name or working name, when not yet
classified or Nom Com approved)
- Type, as accurate as possible (could be an estimation such as "OC", etc when it is stated that the meteorite was not classified)
- Lab & sicentist who made the classification (when classified)
- Reference of Met Bul # & year (when classified)
- Place of find / fall, with if possible coordinates
- TKW
- Number of fragments
- Main scientific infos when classified (Fa% / Fs% for OCs, W, S, etc...)
- Specimen's weight
- Remarks (such as specimen's description -slice, endcut, individual, fragment...- or possible pairings, etc...)
- And of course the name of the collection it comes from (with infos such as website and e-mail addresses for instance)

All the best,

Frederic Beroud
http://www.meteoriteshow.com
IMCA member # 2491 (http://www.imca.cc/)