[meteorite-list] ID cards

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:03:19 +0100

Hummm Frederic,

I think it's a little bit impolite to hand over to the collector an
ID-plank, instead of an ID-card.
How should one place such much information on a card, which is little larger
than 1 or 2 matchbooks?

I think the very rudimentary data are sufficient,
almost each collector knows how to use the Blue Book or the Bulletin
database, so that we don't have to put him under tutelage.
And don't forget, for many of them it's a fun, to categorize and to sort
their specimens by their own, to write their own specimen labels, to
customize and to build up their own databases or written documentation and
to hunt in the literature and web for more information about the individual
locales. That's one aspect, which makes collecting so satisfying.
Not to forget, that for some collectors also individual specimen cards are
collectible items or trophies. If they all would look the same, it would be
a little monotone, wouldn't it?
(I like our new cards, yummy, they even do have a hologram...)

Huh and David,
Close and tighten your Tyvek suit :-)

Let's take the worst case of collectors for a dealer as an example:
- They like to pay for the most exotic types 1 or 2 bucks per gram,
everything else they take for an extortion.
- They are buying only Micro- and Nanomounts in the sub-gram range.
- But please, highly polished in at least 6 steps on both sides.
- slices not thicker than 1mm,
- and absolutely coplanar.
They're waiting to get that stuff on ebay, where not so seldom, such
specimens die at 5$.
- They want to have it delivered from all over the world within 3 days after
auction has ended,
- but they don't want to pay more than 1$ shipment costs.
- They want to have it sent registered
- and with insurance.
- If they aren't fully pleased with that specimen (or when they found the
same locales meanwhile even more cheaper elsewhere), they want to send it
back at the dealer's expense.
- They want it to be well packed in a zip bag
- and in an air cushion envelope.
- For display it should come of course with a membrane box.
- To avoid customs tax, they want to get the receipt sent separately by
letter (of course on dealer's expense).

And now, the dealer should also add a super-designed label, colour print,
high gloss, laminated, professionally printed on deckle edged paper with a
personal dedication?

Ey David, in such cases it is by far cheaper and it would save so much time
for a dealer to send to such a customer not only the money back, but to add
a 10$ note, humbly thanking for the try to buy from him.

Martin

PS
(Hmm, I'd like to have to have a flimsy paper ID-card from Mr.Chladni,
Daubree, Cohen...)

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----