[meteorite-list] [ebay] ending in about 2 days

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 15 15:52:03 2006

Hi Dave and Greg,

>Informed decisions cannot be made in the vacuum of a
>lack of knowledge.

I agree with you. I just question the reliability and validity of the
knowledge.

When these type posts are made, there is a lot of heated, emotional and
sometimes inflammatory discourse. People talk a lot but rarely say
anything.

I am not meaning to defame or otherwise antagonize anyone, least all the
parties involved but to use another analogy, there is a lot of smoke but no
fire and smoke is often used as "smokescreen."

In these posts I see a lot of name-dropping, accusations of wrongdoing and
dishonesty but little data. People quote rules for others to follow then
break them themselves. If someone says yyy is paired to zzz then show the
data. If someone says some scientist said this or that then give us a
direct, verifiable quote. If someone says something has been published then
give us the URL or something. If a certain TKW is stated tell us why this
is so. Etc...

I too, like to make informed decisions but the quality of my decisions is
only as good as the data that goes into my decision and my point with all
this is that I need good, hard data.

I get very little usable information from these type posts, surely not
enough to judge the reputation of a dealer. Show me, and others, the data.

-Walter