[meteorite-list] Re: "Bessey Specks"

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 17 15:55:20 2006

Hello Adam, Listees,

Bessey Speck
(1) A commercially marketed, submillimeter-sized, granular or irregular,
intentionally broken petreus meteoritical fragment which collectors prize as
a token possession of an expensive meteorite or of one with limited
distribution, typically used more as a conversational piece or to
satisfactorily fill a primal participatatory instinct for collection and
coat-tailing on the "wow-effect" of possession of the parent specimen.
Compare to "Particle", "Stardust", "Crumb", "Micro" and "Micromount".
(2) Any, almost microscopic-sized particle originating from a larger (macro)
meteorite specimen.

Note, I'm not disagreeing with Adam' response to Ed in the sense that the
term micromount is a term in the toolbox, although I think the word particle
is more descriptive for most of our uses. I am agreeing with Michael Blood
that the term Bessey Speck has a place.

The questionably honorific term "Bessey Speck" seems like a much more
descriptive term to me than micromount for many collectors. To me a
"micromount" implies some sort of serious grand plan of scientific
investigation or illustration of specific attributes. Size alone doesn't
count, as much as purpose. For example, Stardust particles are not
micromounts unless prepared that way despite Adam's definition, and they are
not Bessey Specks, though micro-Besseyspeckies are certainly hypothetically
possible.

"Bessey Speck" consideres that not all particles commercially sold in venues
like eBay find scientific use regardless of who is doing the selling. That's
where Bessey Speck is a unique and interesting term. Adam's definition
clearly has the weighted meaning toward a usually higher "scientific" use in
observing material properties: appreciation with binocular microscope,
better developed crystals, etc... The short comment in that definition
"obtaining for less," especially given the profit and pleasure motives
between buyers and sellers, really seems quite out of place to me. Adam's
post wasn't clear, at least for me, if he disagreed with the use of the term
Bessey Speck or just was offering Ed an alternate (which I definitely agree
with Adam in doing).

I am not comfortable with the term micromount being more properly used for
specimens purposefully shattered into small bits with a sledge for the
unadulterated and pure pleasure of collectors filling holes in their
collections, a majority of which are not "better appreciating" their samples
in a binocular microscope which many don't have nor have too much motivation
to get.

Didn't "Bessey Speck" usage start with Dean's Mars rock sales many years
before most of our times? I am trying to remember Kevin Kitchinka's
comments in "The Art of Meteorite Collecting" (don't have handy here) where
an explanation of the etymology of this colorful term was published and my
Mars' comment references. Bessey Specks, though, gets the point across much
better for me! It's ll in the intended use and market. While I don' think
a "Micromount" is an appropiate common sense description for something not
carefully prepared and mounted to exhibit some characteristic, heck - if
their not even carefully mounted...

So, unless Dean objects to being immortalized in this fashion, that is my 2
centavos.
Doug