[meteorite-list] More info : Shady dealings with Bob Evans and SteveArnold!

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 25 15:39:22 2006

At 10:56 AM 10/25/2006, stan . wrote:

>>As you have no doubt already seen on the list, Ruben had a contract with
>>Bob at the instant he >clicked on the "Buy It Now" option on eBay. Steve
>>called Bob AFTER the transaction had been >completed with Ruben and ended
>>up with the meteorite. A slimey undertaking by both Steve >and Bob. Bob
>>as the owner of the meteorite should be held primarily responsible for
>>this fiasco as >he backed out of his obligation and contract to
>>Ruben. Steve is also responsible as he went along >with the "trade"
>>knowing that the meteorite had been sold on eBay in the first place.
>
>Dave,
>forgive me if i am missing something obvious here, but from what bit of
>information do you base your statement that Steve called Bob AFTER the
>but it now transaction occured? granted i havent forllowed 100% of the
>posts on this thread but i have seen nothing that indicates what time
>things happened. from what Bob said Steve made a deal for the rock 10
>minutes BEFORE the buy it now happened - or at least before he was aware
>the buy it now happened. there didnt seem to be any foreknowledge on the
>part of Bob, and certainly not Steve.
>
>sincerely confussed...
>stan

Stan,
Here's part of an email from Steve Arnold to Ruben concerning the
issue. Both Ruben and I are aware that it is a violation of List rules to
post private messages, but after discussing this matter in length, we
thought it was an important enough issue that we're willing to suffer Art's
consequences if he decides we broke one of his rules.

Steve Arnold wrote:

Hi ruben.Let me explain what happened.I saw the
auction last week and my mouth just drooled.I looked
at that piece for along time.I was really deciding on
buying it now,but then I thought I would wait till
friday.Well it went with the buy it now and it was
gone.Well then on friday I called bob to let him know
that I really missed out on a good piece because of my
non promtness.Well he said if I really want it make me
an offer................

You will notice that Steve says he saw the meteorite had been purchased
with the "Buy it Now" feature and later called Bob to let him know " that I
really missed out on a good piece because of my non promtness [sic] "

Here's a link to the auction showing that it ended early with "Buy it Now"
with "mr-meteorite" (Ruben) as the buyer on:

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 19:54:50 PDT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250040481445&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/250040481445_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

Ruben paid for Ebay item # 250040481445 ( the Canyon Diablo meteorite in
question) using his Paypal account on, Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 19:57
PDT. That's less than 3 minutes after he pushed the "Buy it Now" button.

Steve didn't call Bob Evans until Friday, October 20, 2006.

In the email partially quoted above:
Steve states:

".....Well then on friday I called bob to let him know
that I really missed out...".

I'm speculating here, but my guess is that Bob would have honored Ruben's
"Buy it Now" purchase if Steve hadn't contacted him and made him "a better
offer." However, that doesn't mean he's free of any wrong doing here.

Bob and Steve didn't make a deal 10 minutes before the "Buy it Now" button
was pushed - the deal was made two days ( maybe a day and a half) later (
unless Steve is lying to Ruben about when he called Bob).

Steve initiated the sleazy deal, and Bob followed through. Both are
culpable and should be dealt with accordingly.

Hope this clears this issue up a bit,

John Gwilliam