[meteorite-list] Re: Ad New Tektite book

From: meteoriteplaya_at_comcast.net <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 5 12:25:31 2006

Hi All
This is actually a new book on tektites that I have offered for sale before. From time to time the publisher offers it out at a discount. The list price is around $120 but I will offer it to list members for only $75 plus shipping & handling.

The book is titled "Tektites in the Geological Record: Showers from the Sky" Editor G J H McCall 288 page soft cover, printed Aug 2001.

Unfortunately good books on tektites only come out once every 15-20 years or so. Please don't miss you chance to own this great book as it is loaded with lots of useful information and is by far the most up to date book on tektites. I would recommend that anyone with even just a passing interest add this book to their library.

I only ordered 4 extra copies of this book so if you want one please let me know as soon as possible. I do expect them to sell out.

Here is a summary of the book;

This book commences with the history of tektites, from mediaeval
China, through finds in Czechoslovakia in the eighteenth century and
Darwin's description while on the Beagle, to twentieth century finds
in SE Asia, the Ivory Coast and USA. The four major strewn fields are
described, followed by there extension by deep sea finds of
microtektites and the recognition of irregular, large layered tektites
in SE Asia. Possibly related occurrences in Libya and Tasmania and in
older rock systems than the Cenozoic formations of the four strewn
fields (including Cretaceous–Tertiary boundary formations) are also
covered. Tektites are related to a few of the 150 known terrestrial
impact studies. This book will appeal to scientists working in the
broad field of meteorites and geologists, as well as astronomers and
planetologists. Suitable for use as supporting reading for tertiary
courses.

Contents: PREFACE • FOREWORD by Sir Patrick Moore • CHAPTER 1.
Historical perspective • CHAPTER 2. The strewn fields • CHAPTER 3.
Microtektites • CHAPTER 4. Muong Nong-type tektites • CHAPTER 5. The
age paradox • CHAPTER 6. The source of tektites • CHAPTER 7. Glasses
related to tektites: Darwin Glass and Libyan Desert Glass • CHAPTER 8.
Other related occurrences of natural glass • CHAPTER 9. Discussion •
APPENDIX: Applications of isotope geochemistry • GLOSSARY • REFERENCES

Mike
--
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites