AW: [meteorite-list] Etching Neumann lines

From: Andreas Gren <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 11 12:26:22 2006

Hi Kevin, Martin, List,
as Martin mentioned over etching does not help, this does never help, just makes the iron more getting grey in shorter time.
You more have to find the optimal point. But when we think about how much possibilities how to etch, it's easy to see that there are more ways to get the right point.
How much acid? 2.7% ? 5.5%? 6.8%? just examples
How Long? 1 min? 5 min ? 20 min?
What temperature ? 10?C ? 20?C ? 40?C please not much more, it`s getting dangerous .
And not to forget the possibilities to change the parameter during the etching, starting with 3% going on with 5% etc.
So if somebody start etching iron meteorites,you have to make long tests what brings you to the right result.
Every Iron meteorite is different and they are not interested in how the humans can etch them right, so there is not"the way" how to etch, You have to learn it and the only teacher you will have, is your own experience ,its called learning by doing.
By the way I'm not the guy Martin talked about, he is Mr Pilskie from Poland, the best etcher Martin and I have ever seen. And The etchings from my Boguslavka pictures are still the one from Serge, he did such a fine job, that it just would have possible damaged the remaining fusion crust.
Best Regards
Andi

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----