[meteorite-list] Encyclopedia of Meteorites : New features

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 22 19:33:13 2006

Hi, Darren, List

    By a remarkable coincidence, I first experienced
that same little security wrinkle this morning, and I was
completely baffled as to the cause. But now I know
why it happened... and where. It was a mystery at
the time, though.
    I saved everything in progress, shut down every
running application, turned the computer off and back
on, re-started everything, and was cursing WinDoze
for it the whole 10 minutes... (Do I have to apologize
to MicroSoft now? I hope not.)
    Since Darren has identified the site as David Weir's,
I recall from an old List discussion that he had a real
problem with no-necks lifting big chunks of his material
to adorn their eBay auctions. That was the motive for the
security, I suspect. (As an aside, David, there are at least
two ways that I discovered to circumvent that security.
Not that I was snitching text, of course...)
    Another common page security wrinkle is to direct
all right mousekey clicks to a snippy little alert box that
questions the user's integrity and ancestry simultaneously...
I have run into that on a number of older websites; it is
less annoying but equally circumventable.
    It's not the security device that annoys, as much as
not knowing what's wrong! Why not just title every such
.html page as "Clipboard Is Disabled While This Window
Is Open." Since IE (and most other browsers) displays
the page title in the top bar of the window, it would save
visitors from going berserk and shutting down their
computers...

Sterling K. Webb