[meteorite-list] website security program glitch

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 22 22:04:27 2006

Hello Sterling and List,

I was unaware of the inadvertent effects that my HTMLProtector program
has been causing. As Sterling has acurately remembered, it was after the
fifth time that whole or parts of my html code were stolen for
commercial purposes, a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act, that I installed this software from antssoft, described here:

------------------------------------
HTMLProtector is a tool that helps you protect the content of your web
page by preventing others from viewing your source code. Additionally,
it will stop spam robots from extracting email addresses from your pages
as well as prevent people from using automated downloaders to download
your entire web site to their hard drive. HTMLProtector offers three
JavaScript based encryption methods to choose from and a variety of
other features like right click disable, printing disable, password
protect your pages, insert copyright information and more!
------------------------------------

I am aware that it's not a perfect solution and that there are ways to
beat it, but since I haven't been faced with theft of my website
material since I installed it, that I'm aware of, perhaps those with
enough sense to beat it are also those with enough integrity to not
steal from it. I don't think I've ever refused permission for any
"reasonable" use of my text, including for a few commercial purposes,
but I need to maintain control over that use, for psychological reasons
at least.

I have added a line at the top of my homepage similar to what Sterling
has recommended in order to warn of the inadvertent problems it may
cause to other open programs. Until something better comes along or
until it becomes totally obsolete for its purpose, I'll keep using
HTMLProtector. If you feel you don't want to deal with this program then
feel free to get your meteorite information from the primary journals
and abstracts as I do -- I actually have always recommended this.

Regards,

David Weir
meteoritestudies.com