[meteorite-list] Meteorites Used To Study Solar Activity ATLAST!!!

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 28 19:42:51 2006

Hi, Katsuhito, List,

    Thanks for the accessible link!

    It would seem that what he wishes to correlate 44Ti
with is the "heliospheric modulation parameter." After
scurrying to Google, I discover that it is apparently an
arbitrary coefficient that reflects the ability of the Sun's
heliosphere to deflect, stop, slow and otherwise prevent
cosmic rays from reaching the Earth's surface.

    It is believed to relate directly to the strength of the
Sun's magnetc field, which in turn relates directly to
the sunspot number. Solar modulation changes galactic
cosmic ray intensities at low energies by up to an order
of magnitude between the solar minimum and the solar
maximum.

    The modulation parameter is determined by largely
empirical means (balloon flight measurements) and
"ignores a lot of physics which could be important,"
says one scientist, like the tilt of the magnetic field.
But it does seem to work well.

    The half life of 44Ti is only 86 years, so if you tested
a meteorite that fell in 1146 AD, less than one thousandth
of the 44Ti would be left. In a fall from 286 AD, less than
one millionth. Still, it would be interesting if they could
extend the study back in time.

    Global warmists tend to discount the intense warming
eposode between 900 AD and 1200 AD. They even cast
doubt on the "Little Ice Age" of 1400 to 1700 AD. Anyone
know of a 450 year old or a 950 year old fall?

    Usoskin is primarily interested in determining which
sunspot model number fits reality and the GSN model
(whatever that is) clearly does. What I note with interest
is the equally good fit of the sunspot number models to the
neutron flux. The most usual end product of cosmic rays
slashing into the atmosphere is neutrons.

    Here we've been measuring the Sun's entire energy
output bolometrically for a century or so, and it obviously
doesn't change enough to account for warming or cooling
on the scale that happens over the long term. But, what if,
what if tiny modulations in the heliosphere have a biggish
effect on how many neutrons get to punch down into the
Earth's lower atmosphere and that result largely determines
what the amount of cloud cover for the planet will be?

    1,674,900,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 neutrons
weigh in at one gram, so perhaps a mass only equal to
that of a feather (or a small rock), properly applied over
time, has the power to turn the planet's thermostat up or
down 5 or 10 degrees! It would, by any reckoning, be a
very tiny finger on that thermostat.

    It would be so clever of the Universe to do that.

    One of the interesting features of a neutron moderated
climate model would be the asymmetry of its function in
cold vs. warm regimes. In an Ice Age, evaporation is greatly
reduced and much of the water is tied up in ice; it is a very
dry time. Pelt the Earth with neutrons all you want, but it's
hard to form many new clouds in such arid conditions, so
the Ice Age can cool the planet unopposed.

    In a Greenhouse Age, however, the Earth would become
very much more sensitive to cooling moderated by neutron
flux induced cloud cover. With high evaporation rates, high
sea levels, and high humidity, neutrons would be in control
of the planet's albedo, and "cap" the possible increase in
temperature.

    The GCM's (Global Climate Models), which have clouds
driven only by heat and evaporation, have this tendency to
diverge into runaway greenhouse heating (like Venus), but
the reality is that for many long Greenhouse Ages, the Earth's
mean temperature always stabilizes around 22 degrees C.
and stays there for tens of millions of years (except for one
short nasty hot spell at the end of the Permian). For at least
the last half billion years, that's the way it's been: no runaway
greenhouses.

Sterling K. Webb