[meteorite-list] Commercialization, meteorite coins and other ridiculous wastes of time

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:07:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jake Baker <bakers5acres at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> I've read the messages about this subject bantered
> about.
> If you have seen
> the wonder in a child's eyes when they look at
> crystals, meteorites, or even
> common rocks you know what I mean. Many children and
> adults who are curious
> will never make it to a museum or a big city. Many
> don't have the funds or
> physical ability to get there. Many children have
> parents who just don't
> care or are chemically addicted. If a small
> meteorite is purchased or given
> to a rural grade school or an inner city school and
> ignites a passion in one
> child and that child turns off the tv, violent video
> games or cell phone to
> find a meteorite, rocks or get outside to learn
> about geology or nature -
> that's success. That's what sharing and education is
> about.
> Barb Baker

Well said,

This is my experience, living on an island off the
west of Scotland, many of the kids here are unlikely
to ever get to the Natural History Museum in London.
Heck, I've never been there myself.
To be able to show the stuff I have is fantastic.
Thanks have to go to the dealers who obtain this stuff
and make it available to small fry like me.

I would like to personally extend my thanks to Greg
Hupe for making huge quantities of small unclassified
NWA available at bargain bucket prices. I know this
can't last, there's only a finite supply of this stuff
but I've taken great joy out of giving this stuff away
to kids who are simply awestruck.
It's the stuff of dreams and I'm glad to be part of
it.

Rob McC