[meteorite-list] Re Nevada picture of the day / Clarification

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:46:55 -0700 (PDT)

Clarification:

But I do feel that it is my obligation to report every
find that I make - especially if it was made on public
lands - and the only way that I have available to do
that is by requesting a provisional number.

With best regards,
Bob V.

-----------------------------------
THE METEORITICAL SOCIETY
COMMITTEE ON METEORITE NOMENCLATURE

------------------------------------

GUIDELINES FOR METEORITE NOMENCLATURE

4. PAIRED AND SEPARATED METEORITES

4.2 Dense collection areas. In areas of dense
meteorite concentrations such as those covered under
?3.3c and ?3.4c, the following guidelines apply:

a) Level of scrutiny. Sequential names comprising a
prefix and numeric suffix will be given to new
meteorites without checking for possible pairings,
although a single (collective) name may be given in
cases where fragments fit together or similar-looking
fragments are found within a few meters of each other.