[meteorite-list] Re Nevada picture of the day / April issue of Meteorite-Times

From: Ruben Garcia <meteoritemall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 18:27:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bob, Sonny, Moni and List,

I have some questions regarding this subject. First of
all, I don't want this to sound like I completely
agree with Sonny. I don't. In fact we disagree quite
vehemently on my aspects regarding meteorites and
meteorite hunting.

You, Moni and Sonny are fantastic meteorite hunters
and for that I respect you all.

However, in this case it seems to me that Sonny has a
good point. Why would we want to get a provisional
number on every single meteorite we find. Especially
when we find them within feet of known meteorite
finds.(Keep in mind I'm not saying that you made up
the rules, but you do seem to agree with them)
If they are found in the same area and look the same
shouldn't we assume that they more than likely pair?

Do we have to classify/pair every meteorite we find?

I may have misunderstood an email sent to me by Moni
when she parroted this mantra. She said, "don't forget
to get numbers for your recent finds". The only
problem is that the recent finds she was talking about
were Holbrook and Glorieta....

If we have to get numbers for every single find, even
ones that are found within feet of each other and look
alike, then she is right. But doesn't this bog down
the system with needless pairing and classifying of
like meteorites?

I mean really, who cares if every once in a while
someone finds an OC meteorite that more than likely
pairs with another and doesn't get a number? I've
found hundreds of meteorites (Glorieta, Gold Basin,
Franconia, Holbrook)and never considered getting
numbers for them. Why should we?

I am truly asking out of ignorance and really don't
understand. Is this really what you/Nomcom are saying?

Ruben Garcia
Phoenix, Arizona
http://www.mr-meteorite.com