[meteorite-list] Re Firstone: Anything but impact, eh?

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:03:04 -0600

Or so the story goes ...
anyways that's why CD would be spherules and not ellipsoidules or splatules
(if they were hot enough to penetrate bone appreciably) :-)

General comment: We got the idea! ... it *is* quite a far flung theory ...
but then again, like it or not, there are some parallels to the Tunguska
stuck in the trees ... so I'm still keeping an open mind until a real
alternate theory is proposed and more information is actually published that
explains about the supposed Ni-containing thingees and ideas on what they
were doing in the tusks. The folks advancing it do not appear to be frauds
nor liers, and they would appear to have discovered something odd. So they
have have kudos for that, and the benefit of the doubt and some guts, too,
for the moment.

If the tusks are really fossils and not still boney, my difficulty in
connecting the dots is more on how the metals Nickel and Titanium - were
detected and quantified, and what these paths into the bone looked like.
This because, you need to be more Willamette sized to conserve some mass.
I'd rathjer start at the beginning to see why they think this is meteoritic
residue.

Still, it would be a lot more refreshing to have an counter-proposal on what
the thingees *are* doing in the tusks.

If Darren wasn't on the trail with the excavation tools (or what I had
imagined similarly, dynamite involvement, etc., however the deposits were
unearthed), it would be much more exciting to turn some creative energy to
construct what might actually explain the observations. The use of this
theory is, at worst, as a place holder until a better one comes along. Open
minds are important! For example, it interesting to talk about the
"direction of the wind" in the moments following a relatively localized
catastrophe of such magnitude, etc., etc.

The alternates so far that I see are, the digging/cleaning tool connection,
excavation blasting connection, or perhaps the vacationing aliens that came
Mammoth hunting with sawed off blaster guns - any other more respectable
ideas?

Best wishes, great health,
Doug