[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:05:41 -0700 (MST)

Hi All:

I was wanting to find REAL numbers, but may have to rely on memory:

1. The Moon stops very little of what might hit the Earth. The cross
section of the Moon is pi x radius(Moon)**2. A sphere at the Moon's
distance is
4 x pi x radius(orbit)**2. Since the distance from the Earth to the Moon
is about 110 Moon diameters (220 Moon radii), the Moon on "stops"
1/(4 x220 x 220) of what might be heading toward the Earth, about
1/200,000. Not very many.

On the other hand, and this has to be from memory, the Earth's "cross
section" to impacts is about 10% greater than its true cross section
(thanks to its gravity; there is a similar effect for the Moon, but much
less).

So, in reality, the Earth should have 10% more craters than the Moon per
unit surface area.

If you want to get fussy about shielding, it works both ways: while the
Moon shields the Earth, the Earth shields the Moon (much better).

I will continue to search for the actual cross section effect.

Larry