[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:14:57 -0700 (MST)

Hi Again:

I found it!

It (the impact cross section) is (I should have realized) incoming
velocity dependent. For objects going at 50 km/s the cross sectional area
of the Earth is increased by 5%. However, for something approaching at 25
km/s, this increases to 20%!

For something going really slowly relative to the Earth (catching up), the
impact cross section can be more than double the actual cross section of
the Earth

Larry