[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew, just right

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:23:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sterling, Larry, all -

I'm feeling a bit thick headed today, so I'm going to
argue for a lower Earth impact rate again.

It seems to me that another problem with all of these
crater models is their assumption that an impactor is
either going to hit or miss. It seems to me that in
the real world, the gravitational effects of the
Earth+Moon system should draw items in, gradually
changing their orbits from those passing near to ones
which intersect. This should mean multiple passes
before impact, many of them near the Earth, or in
other words, very near or onto the Moon.

good hunting all,
E.P. Grondine

PS - I think we all remember the unusual Canadian
meteorite laws, and the sorry situation which occurred
in recovering the Tagish Lake fall. This means an
adventurous time for anyone going after the mammoth
pepperer, though certainly nothing to produce as
exciting accounts as South America.