[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew, just right

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:29:13 -0600

Ed wrote:

"It seems to me that in the real world, the gravitational effects of the
Earth+Moon system should draw items in, gradually
changing their orbits from those passing near to ones which intersect."

Hello Ed,

Mabe, but the Solar System is a pretty "happening" place, and if it is an
Earth crosser, you are requiring it to be in orbital resonance with Earth,
or for Earth to be in the same place (or something like that), each time.

So, I'd say you're not thick-headed, but that if it misses Earth, it is more
likely to go somewhere else and be subject to other things like the Sun for
Example...

You can't really compare a chance orbit crossing with a stable orbit of an
asteroid-not planet crossing with Jupiter.

Here, this is a fun question you could play around with (I don't need the
answer):

If a comet makes a close pass to Earth once, will it eventually make closer
and closer passes until we collide? Why?

Best wishes and Life
Doug