[meteorite-list] near miss stuff

From: Peter A Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:08:27 -0600

Hello list,
Stated in it's smplest terms, the near miss will preturb the oribital
parametersof the smaller body way
more than the much larger earth. Yes !!!!!
However-----
The only way that the object will come back to haunt our placid life here on
earth is IF the orbital parameter
 dealing in TIME is precisely the same time, (or some whole number
multiple), or a fraction of the earth's orbit. (The earths year and the
objects
year or period of rotation must be the same.)
Then and only then will we need to worry but I rather doubt the orbits of
any
near miss objects have this particular orbital parameter.
One last thought, I do not have the computer facilites to research this, but
a near miss by an object with an oddball
timed orbit MAY have the errors add up or subtract so that it COULD come
back to haunt
us, but I doubt we will be around to worry about it.
Pete