[meteorite-list] Neutron and Proton productioninhyper-velocityimpacts

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:46:05 -0600

Hi, EP, Chris, Doug, Darren, and
Anyone still dipping into the Mammoth Stewpot,

    Doug, I don't believe EP is claiming for a minute
that radiation killed any critters, much less extincted
a species, only that digressions in the isotope record
seem to correlate with extinctions and impacts. He
proposes that neutron generation in impacts may be
the connecting mechanism. I proposed that supernovae
dust infall may explain the isotope digressions. Firestone
first proposed a great neutron exposure over a continental
area would explain them, an event that allows for multiple
explanations. Anything that un-protects the Earth from
the solar wind and cosmic rays would explain it. Now
Firestone finds evidences of impact. Oddly, the impact
theory explains features that the great neutron flux theory
couldn't, but unexplains things it could! The extinctions
are sort of a by-issue as they are minor, disputed and
not clear-cut in their timing. It's a mess. Until the pieces
all "fall into place," as we say. Right now, they're still
bouncing.

    You mention the notable absence of still-radioactive
craters as an indicator that impacts do not produce any
neutrons. Well, nobody's talking about that many neutrons
in the first place. Firestone is talking about tiny ppm
geochemically detectable traces, not craters that glow
in the dark. I don't think that anybody is proposing an
extinction mechanism more energetic than a climatic
disturbance. The glaciations were strong environmental
stressors, creating a harsh environment. Another stressor on
top of that might have extinctive effects. Even if (and I don't
believe this for a minute) there were slightly "hot" craters,
induced unstable isotopes are mostly short-lived. We have
no fresh giant craters to check (that being the only place you
could test the theory of neutron production by impact). If
there were traces of neutron production in impact, it too
would be only detectable in ppm geochemical tests.

    If EP is suggesting that impacts generate enough
neutrons to increase the C14 in the Earth's atmosphere,
he be far from the first to do so. I've heard it batted
about for fifty years with no conclusive answer. There
have been articles in "Nature" proposing mechanisms and
all the usual arguments, for decades. It's not a new idea,
nor an "extreme" one, just a hard-to-prove one (or a
wrong one).

    The neutrons which transform N14 to C14 are the
lowest energy neutrons of all: thermal neutrons (meaning
that their speed is determined by the temperature, like
molecules of a gas, less than half an electron-volt likely).
The pace of thermal neutrons is so slow and leisurely
that you could easily win a race with one. Even I could.

    These lazy neutrons have no trouble creating C14
for just that reason; they just sneak up on the nitrogen
atoms and grab'em! The Earth's atmosphere makes a
fine trap to slow fast neutrons down to the slow pace
that creates C14. They start out fast because it takes
far more energy to produce them than they have as
thermal neutrons. Then, the fast neutrons have to bounce
their way off lots of atoms until they slow down enough
to get one!

    Neutrons can be produced by natural decay and by
interactions with photons, with electrons, with protons.
The energies required vary with the target, as every
element is different in this regard. Knowledge in the
this area is incomplete and an "accidental" neutron
generator is sometimes created by mistake, like the
maker of industrial x-ray machinery who discovered
that his dense tungsten shielding stopped off-axis
x-rays just fine -- by converting them into immense
doses of neutrons! (Recall time.)

    If anybody thinks we have C14 all neatly understood,
read this discussion of C14 levels in coal (where there
shouldn't be ANY):
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/c14.html

    All the models of large impacts (I stress the "large"
part) show the production of plasma at 30,000 K up
to 50,000 K. and in reasonably large amounts. Plasmas
at these energies produce energetic electrons, energetic
photons, and energetic ions, all of which can produce
plentiful neutrons.

    The key question is HOW MUCH? and the answer is:
we don't know. As I pointed out in a Mammoth Stew issue
on 12-21, Libby calculated that Tunguska's small C14
increase, if it was from Tunguska, was only about 15%
of what a nuclear explosion of the same force would have
generated. That's a respectable performance but not a
world-beater. I doubt anybody has calculated the neutron
flux of a variety of impact types (if even possible) and
I'm sure not going to try.

    However, everybody's overlooking the obvious: that the
impactor brings it's own Carbon 14 to the party. There
are a plentitude of carbon-rich potential impactors: C-type
asteroids, D-type, and more, cometary chunks, and so
forth. Big impacts would vaporize within the atmosphere
many millions of tons of material, with many 100,000 tons
of carbon. A mere 5000 tons of Carbon 14 would double
the C14 content of the Earth's atmosphere, so you see
it doesn't take an impossible amount. But this possibility
is also "vagued up" by the fact that we don't know the C14
abundance in such objects.

    Even tiny micrometeorites, the pellets and dust that
make "ordinary" meteors, showers and erratics, largely
from cometary sources and relatively carbon-rich, would
have carbon 14 enriched exteriors from space exposure to
energetic radiation and that carbon 14 will get oxidized
directly into the atmosphere when they burn up.

    There's no bigger headache than trying to find ALL the
pathways on a carbon cycle diagram of any natural process,
and trying to do for one isotope of carbon is nightmarish.
The unstable isotope is decaying constantly from its total
of 5000 tons in the atmosphere, dropping about one ton
per year. It's being replenished by that roughly that same
amount every year, from cosmic rays (mostly), the solar
wind (some), by the modulation of cosmic rays by the
magnetosphere as modulated by the solar wind (again),
and dozens of other very minor pathways... we think.
Living things selectively reject it, releasing it into the
atmosphere; it may be brought in with meteoroids; it
may infall with comet dust, the list goes on and on...

    Meanwhile, much (most?) of what we think we know
about large impacts is theoretical musing. It might well be
totally correct musing (I think so; it hangs together; we all
love a good synthesis), but it's brain gas just the same. So
is the theory of gravity, but I can see it work a thousand
times a day. I can't see a big impact that often, not even
once a lifetime. No observations. And no guarantee of
completeness. Give me a fresh crater and 50 geochemists
any day...

Sterling K. Webb