[meteorite-list] Samples or how to cut a meteorite

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:41:09 +1100

Hi Ingo & all,

Everyone has raised some very good and interesting points. I for one cannot
stand to see a beautiful oriented meteorite cut or a window ground. But I
also understand that occasionally there are exceptions. And I mean
OCCASSIONALLY! ;-)

I have a complete slice of NWA 2705 which was a small 30g oriented heat
shield. BUT... it's also one of the freshest NWA Ureilites. Now there are
plenty of heat sheild meteorites around this ~30g size but I believe if you
actually stop to think about it, there was far more for science to gain from
such a fresh Ureilite to warrant its slicing.

And if you look at the slices, you are able to see the stones oriented
outline anyway. So everyone wins.

http://www.meteorites.com.au/features/nwa2705.html

Cheers,

Jeff