[meteorite-list] Samples

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:57:00 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Where to hell is NASA money for grad students to do
this work? They always issue great press releases
about encouraging science education, but when it
really comes down to helping train the planetary
scientists of tomorrow, where the hell is NASA?

The thin slice folks from the Apollo days are retiring
as well.

How are the foreign labs doing?

good hunting,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

>I know that many of the Arizona meteorite hunters had
>loyalties to University of Arizona and/or Arizona
>State University in the past. Several years ago, it
>wasn't unusual to get a classification
>(free) done in just a few months depending on who you
>knew at which school and what you relationship to
them >was. The Arizona universities were excited to
see more >Arizona material start showing up. But as
time went by >and meteorite hunting popularity
increased,
>so did the amount of material submitted to labs for
>classification. I don't know if I'm right, but I
>suppose that the meteorite scientists might have lost
>their interest in the common stuff after seeing so
>much of it. Prior to that, there was very little
>material submitted for classification.

Just my