[meteorite-list] Question

From: Peter A Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:03:31 -0600

Hello List,
I have a question.
Years ago when tv's were "young" one of the problems was that
the acceleration of electrons from the cathode to the plate " the screen"
was that when the electron collided with the screen, Xrays were generated.
Granted that the level was not near as large as what would be generated if
you got a chest Xray, or a mamogram, It was never made clear what caused
the Xrays. I do remember that the ultra high voltage was on the order of 25
to 35KV.and if this was enough to cause Xrays, then the energy needed to
creat Xrays is not very large. The ionization trail of the atmosphere as the
meteorite plows through it will cause plenty of electrons to help create the Xrays.
If the Xrays knock particles around that can cause the Nitrogen to convert to
C14 then maybe there may be more Xrays than what we thought there was.
I would venture to say that this might also bear investigation.
Pete