[meteorite-list] Large Hypervelocity Impacts and Neutron and Proton Release

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:22:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

Proceeding with the evidence from the impacts of the
fragments of Comet Shoemaker Levy 9 with Jupiter, we
see photons released at x-ray energies:

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/gif/rosat.gif

and at gamma ray energy levels:

COMPTON GAMMA RAY OBSERVATORY

Data from the Burst and Transient Source Experiment
<a
href="http://www.batse.msfc.nasa.gov/batse-home-main.html">
(BATSE)</a> [no longer available]
on board the Compton Gamma-Ray Observatory (CGRO)
have been used to set upper limits on emission in the
20 - 1800 keV energy range from the collision of
comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 with Jupiter. From an impulsive
event of 1 second duration we place a 4 sigma upper
limit on the equivalent isotropic energy release of 5
x 10^20 ergs in the 20 - 50 keV energy band. The upper
limit on steady emission observed during the week of
the collision is 2 x 10^19 erg/sec (20 - 50 keV).

We discuss [someplace] the implications of these
observations for impact effects on the Jovian
atmosphere and COMET-COMET COLLISIOIN [impact] models
of cosmic gamma-ray bursts."

Okay, so what the hell does this all mean for the
generation of photons in the 3-20 MeV range, the
energy levels sufficient to free neutrons to make the
C14 spikes observed simulataneous with the large
craters here on Earth?

Anybody out there got some cheap answers from
Nucler-fysics R Us?

good hunting all,
(ah yes, Mike, Paul, how my heart lorns for springtime
in Alaska - skeeters, black flies, swamps, chills,
mud, and freeze-to-death cold water.)

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas