[meteorite-list] 3rd Legal Tender Meteorite Coin = Brenham

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:16:50 -0600

>and not have one done with a Kansas meteorite. Plus the first (legal
tender
>coin, not token as most ?meteorite coins? are)

Darren asked "So does this mean that the "coin" could be taken to a store in
the country of
issue and the store will be required to take the "coin" at face value to pay
for
goods or services, and be able to exchange that coin at a bank for said face
value? Because if you can't spend it in the country of issue just like any
other coin from that country (Marshal islands, whatever) it ain't a coin,
and it
ain't legal tender."

Hello Darren and list,

The first coin has a $10.00 face value in Libya backed by the National Bank
of Liberia, the second has a $5.00 face value backed by the government of
the Republic of Palau. I am not sure where the third coin will come from at
this time, as that is being worked out. At this time, the project has been
approved and that is where we are. I am excited about this one more then
the others so I went ahead and announced it. (The last tow times I waited
until dealers had time to get them in stock before posting).

This is no different then if you bought one of the 1986 $1 Statue of Liberty
coins here in the US. That is a legal tender coin as well. Mind you,
someone at your local 7-11 might not understand the Statue of Liberty coin
is a legal tender coin, but that doesn?t change the fact that it is. Worst
case, if you can?t find anyone who knows funny US coins you might have to
take to a National Bank, but I do not know the commerce laws in all
countries so I will not pretend I do.

The Statue of Liberty coin and the previous meteorite coins are made of
silver, so you would be pretty stupid for exchanging it for face value. (The
Brenham coin will also be made of silver).

Here is the history of the first one?

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/nwa267coin.html

And a photograph of the second?

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/Natancoin.html