[meteorite-list] Legal?? Lang AUCTION RESULTS

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:10:29 -0500

Hello Matthias, Jim, Dirk and List,

I agree with Matthias that the Lang auction results should be posted to this
List since such blatant acts of falsely reported "stolen" lots were
reported. That, and the many ending hammer prices compared to what absentee
bidders were told was their "winning" bids. This is no time to stick our
heads in the sand and ignore this. A black eye has been placed upon the
meteorite collecting world like no other time. We need to expose it for all
it is. If this is left unchecked, old collectors will drop and new
collectors will go collect something else like Teletubbies or whatever.

Dirk brings up a very good question, since the Lang's held a live public
auction, are they licensed? A couple people have stated in the last 12 hours
that there was some confusion during the Lang auction, which makes sense if
one were to hold a public auction without proper and ethical training.

Lets not get led astray from the point of this entire thread, Allan and Iris
Lang told Achim that his three lots he won at their auction were stolen so
he was out of luck. Amazingly, the very same day Peter Marmet (see his post
2-7-2007) was told he won two of those "stolen" auctions and one other well
respected collector was told he won the third "stolen" item. There is NO
confusion there!! Pretty simple, do not sugar coat it or change it to
another topic.

Going back to posting final auction prices to this List, I was at first all
for keeping them quiet for the same perceived "market" pricing reason. I had
21 items in the Blood auction which, as in any meteorite show auction, sold
for about half of their regular "retail" prices. I do not mind these prices
being posted here for all to see, I feel the auction items are basically a
give back to collectors for purchases throughout the year. Everyone knows
that the results are emailed back and forth to each other anyway.

I feel the Lang auction results need to be posted so the absentee bidders
can compare their "winning" bids against the hammer price, which is the sale
price!

I remember List members stating many times in the past they want to know of
such acts perpetrated by anyone. If we are to ignore this, we are all to
blame for getting ripped off or cheated!!

Best regards,
Greg