[meteorite-list] a few other auction surprises

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:26:48 +0100

Hello Peter, List,

Yes, all this needs a serious clearing-up. With you and me (and others ?)
there are (at least) 7 examples where the max bid was higher than the
hammer price (for Vernon County, there was a typo on the hammer in my post.
Read $ 255 instead of $ 266).
The Khohar case was resolved by Mike (another typo).
For the "stolen" meteorites and the Achim affair, I am just not competent
to intervene.

What I wanted to say is that, despite all the above mentioned facts, I
would also give the Langs the benefit of doubt.
I know them personally for years, never had problems with them in business
and I still feel they are fundamentally honest and serious in business. Oh
yes, just "feel" and this does not mean "know". My feeling is often right
(not always though). In this case, "feel" means to me "I wish it being so".
It does not matter if this is a naive behavior.

"Benefit of doubt" means to me that perhaps one should not exclude a huge
mixing-up of the lots and prices or anything alike, that resulted in the
final confusion we know. Lack of professionalism in running the auction,
yes, maybe, but perhaps less likely an intentional cheating. And, indeed,
all the hammer prices as reported by Mike should be confirmed from other
sources.
The "theft" ramains a serious problem for sure but who knows what is
behind? At least I don't want to "conclude" nor to "suppose" before more
facts are reported.

As for me, I appreciate having winning Khohar, regret a little Marilia and
Gorlovka (I love - among others - Brasilian and Russian significant
meteorites) but I am not frustrated. There will always be meteorites
available here and there and their chasing is at least as exciting as their
acquisition.

I hope all this will not spoil the friendly spirit and funny atmosphere
that currently characterize the gathering of all the meteorite afficionados
in major shows.

Oh, by the way: we don't envisage to program any Auction in Ensisheim....

Best wishes to all,

Zelimir

A 23:44 08/02/2007 +0100, Peter Marmet a ?crit :